Tuesday, January 27, 2009

wildlife and landscape

I am currently in Tortuguero, a village on a sliver of land between the Caribbean Sea and a series of Canals in the NE corner of Costa Rica. It is adjacent to the major National Park in Costa Rica that preserves a rain forest called the "mini-amazon" and is a major eco-tourism destination for people coming to view the sea turtle nesting (not happening at the moment). The village itself is only about 800 people and survives based on tourism. It is a very remote place and is only reachable by boat or plane. We took a boat from Puerto Limon which took about 4.5 hours. It was just a very large canoe with a motor on it and we navigated thru a series of small and large canals.
I thought this was as good a time as any to talk about some nature. As you may have guessed, where we are at now is VERY tropical. I feel like I walked onto the set of LOST. Speaking of which, I haven´t seen the premier so no one ruin it for me! On the boat ride here we got to see sloths, monkeys, crabs, lots of birds, turtles, an alligator, and a few big crocodiles... pretty crazy! Today Anna and I decided to do a little hiking. We followed a public trail thru the national park. Before we left they made us rent rubber boots which was really good because we ended up walking thru up to 6" of mud and standing water. We hiked for about 6 miles. Got to see some monkeys swinging over our heads as well as a bunch of Lizards, ants, and even a baby Deer. (I didn´t know they existing in the rain forest). Of course I got pictures so you will get to see all of this later.
The Caribbean coast has been tropical with lots of rain (it has rained at least once every day here). The Pacific coast is more tame and reminds me a bit of Southwest Missouri landscape, but with palm trees! In the middle there are lots of Mountains, many of them volcano's. Nicaragua was full of volcano's.
So that is a quick summary of what it looks like down here. Obviously the pictures will do a much better job of telling he story. I forgot to mention there are a TON of mosquito's, and they LOVE me! Anyone know how to treat Malaria?
If you are wondering about the job on Ometepe... no decision yet, still waiting to hear back from the future boss.

No comments:

Post a Comment