Tuesday, February 10, 2009

life on the island

My apologies for not posting anything in such a long time. You would think that sitting around on an island would allow a lot of time to blog, but unfortunately we often lose power and when we have the Internet is slow. We also have the only connection in 3k, so it is very popular. Today is my day off and I have gone to the biggest town on the island (probably 300 people) where the have a decent internet cafe.
The last week has been good, but rather exhausting. The job is simple enough. I get up around 8am to check out any guest that are leaving and help with the breakfast. There is a local girl that cooks and cleans, but she doesn´t speak English and of course my Spanish is almost non-existent. After the breakfast rush I am left to tend to the restaurant while she cleans. During the day there is very little to do. Stock the beer fridge, keep the books, take a nap in a hammock, and maybe play some pool. Also, I am learning to juggle... very slowly. The weather is nice, normally in the 80´s or 90´s with a slight breeze and a few clouds. Although, a few days ago we sustained hurricane force winds for several hours. It knocked out the power for a few days and damaged some of our roofs as well as took out a few banana trees. We have a generated to keep the kitchen going, as well as the TV and beer fridge (very important to Morgan!). The hardest part of the day is in the evening. That is when new guests arrive as well as those that are already staying the return from their daily activities. There is also dinner to contend with. It can be pretty overwhelming for a few hours and I could really use another person to help out. Anyone interested!?!?!
After dinner things chill out for a bit and then a party will break out, typically led by Morgan. At that point I am somewhere between being part of the party and a bartender. It is always a lot of fun and I get to met a ton of cool people. I hang out until everyone passes out, and lock the place up, typically around midnight. Of course, I have to get up the next day at 8 and do it all over again! One big part of the job is looking after Morgan. He is an amazing person that can talk his way thru anything, and gets a long with everyone, but has a tendency to forget things. All in all it is a pretty great gig, especially if I can find a counterpart to share the work load.
So that is a day in the life of Adam. I was able to sale my car, thanks Liz, Dad, Carol, and Joe. I hope to climb one of the volcanos in the next few weeks, and that will make a great story!
Feel free to write e-mails and let me know what is going on in your part of the world.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like things are going well... enjoy it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't tell which is tougher - taking a nap in a hammock, stocking (and drinking) the beer, partying every night, playing pool, or climbing volcanos! If you need a shoulder to cry on ...

    ReplyDelete